Ever wondered what it would be like to live with the Amish?
When I tell people I lived with the Amish as part of my research for writing my Amish books, they usually ask me, “Are you Amish?”
Well, no, it should be obvious. Bonnets are not my thing.
But people are usually uneducated about the Amish, which is a shame, because they are such fascinating people to learn about.
However, the Amish are extremely admirable people! These are my favorite things about the Amish that I totally agree with:
- They have a strong sense of community.
- They help each other in huge ways, like building a barn for one of the families or helping pay each other’s medical bill. No questions asked.
- They never expect anything in return.
- They are smart about dating. People ask me often if they marry young, and they usually don’t marry that young. It is common for Amish newlyweds to be in their mid-twenties. They don’t rush into marriage. They take dating very seriously and have no physical contact. That is smart! That is why it doesn’t take them years and years to find a spouse.
- They are hard workers but they know how to have fun.
- Family time is priority.
- They don’t clutter their lives with TV or silly things that don’t matter, so they fill the spaces with good relationships and time with God.
- Their simple lives are wonderfully full.
- Their faith in God is so strong! They always trust in God.
I will cover things I do not agree with about the Amish in my next post.
Read the eBook Ashley’s Amish Adventure on your Kindle or smartphone on Amazon.com.